Sunday, February 19, 2012

Something Sunday 7: Valentine's Day

If you haven't picked up on it yet, Valentine's Day is my favorite holiday! I love all the hearts, and pink and all the goodness. (The commercials are definitely annoying, but I don't have cable, so I get to escape all the hallmark crap!)

I always try and make my roomies a gift for this special day. Its fun to have an excuse to sew some heart covered projects.


This year, I made two of my rommates reverse-applique heart bags and the third one I made a 'mug rug'. For those that don't know a mug rug is like a lager coaster, to use for snacks or whatever. (I have already given one of my roommates two zipped bags, so I thought something different would be nice.)




Side note: I have a bit of a mug collection, and this one is one of my personal favorites. I also have one from my trip to Washington DC last year that is quite amazing, I'll have to share my collection some time.



If you click on the images below to enlarge them you can get a better sense of the reverse applique. It is a  cool technique that I had been wanting to try for a while. For a first try, I'm happy with how they both came out!

 


I do my best to avoid buying any of the wasteful stuff they sell during February and thankfully I did well this year. (normally I cave and end up buying a few useless gifts). This year the chocolates were the only things I bought! I already had the kiss bags on hand from last valentine's day and the rest of the gifts were home-made. I'm definitely happy to be giving more hand-made gifts!



I also made a bunch of cards for the day! I have been trying my hand at scrapbooking a bit more lately and I'm having a lot of fun with it!




I didn't get the best pictures of the cards below, but they are clear enough you can get the idea. I was happy to find some adorable Valentine's Day paper to be able to make homemade cards too.



Hope you all had a lovely Valentine's Day 2012 :)

1 comment: